Friday 22 October 2010

Losing my Eyeko Virginity...Then Regretting It.

Eyeko was still stocked in Superdrug back when I worked there and I was mildly curious about trying their range, but never did.

Since then the blogging community has apparently fallen in love with this range, which has meant a considerable increase in their prices *tut tut*. After reading on many blogs about some of their "best" products I decided to give it a go...

The website was well laid out and their branding is really quirky, quirky but not very expensive looking. Shipping within the UK is free, which is always a bonus and luckily I had an embassador code to use, which also means a free product. So far, so good. Apologies for picture quality, they are taken on a super warm fleecy blanket because I'm not well :(

The first item I picked up was the Eyeko 3-in-1 cream. Gemsmaquillage did a video on this a while back and I was very tempted by it, even though the price has increased from £5 to £8...

When it arrived it did not seem completely full, has anyone else experienced this?




I noticed the pot is not the size it appears from the outside either, the base is raised so less product is in the pot than you may first think.

The product works well as an eyeshadow base, especially for shimmery colours. When I used it as a highlighter over my foundation and bronzer I found it very difficult to blend and the result wasn't overly great. When I applied it on foundation and then applied bronzer on top it blended much better but wasn't as noticable. I definitely won't be trying this product as an eyecream! Disappointed by this, I was expecting more, especially for £8 and I don't think I will be repurchasing unless I can figure out what to do with it.

The next item I purchased was the new Eyeko Magic Mascara. I think the packaging on this product is gorgeous! It takes a lot for me to try new mascaras as I find most of them are over-priced and under-deliver on results. When I heard my holy grail Loreal Voluminous was being discontinued in the UK I bought 4 of them off eBay!

I couldn't get a really great picture of the product but Zoella has one on her blog. She had raved about this product so I thought I would try it. It arrived with a dent in the bottom, which I would have overlooked had I thought it was a really good mascara... It seperates lashes really well, and gives them a good curl, but it is not very thickening or volumising, which results in my lashes looking slightly spidery. Fine for a daytime look but for night I would layer another mascara over it.



Another I won't be repurchasing I think...

I have recently been getting more into nail polishes and thought I would try Eyeko's as they get good reviews. I liked the look of Vampira and Cosmic. The website was offering Vampira for free when you spent a certain amount, so I was quite happy to purchase Cosmic. The polishes look a little on the small side, and although some bloggers like the packaging, I think it looks a little cheap.

However, I can't fault the product itself, the glitter is lovely in both of them and one coat is pretty opaque. I haven't worn these for long enough to know how well they wear, but I really like the colours. I am unsure if I will repurchase as I think some brands on the highstreet offer great polishes in a wide range of colours at a similar price.




The final product I purchased was the Graffiti Eyeliner Pen in Black. I love this product!! I have tried Eyeliner Pens before but the angle you have to hold them at to apply always meant the fluid did not come out right. This is the best liquid eyeliner pen I have ever used. It allows you to create a really fine, straight line, which is buildable and it does not come off easily. Would definitely repurchase and consider other colours, which I think they should expand upon too!



Finally my free embassador code product, well, I didn't get one. Apparently it is stated on the site that each customer can only recieve one promotion at a time, which is fair, I was just unaware of it and was expecting a free gift.

Overall, if it were not for the eyeliner pen this would be a very depressing post. If the items were a little cheaper it may not have been so disappointing but when you consider the quality of brands such as Sleek, 17 and Barry M at the prices they charge, I do not think I will purchase from Eyeko until my eyeliner pen runs out...

2 comments:

  1. I'm loving this totally honest review. I adore the Eyeko packaging but I too didn't like the cream and hated the mascara. I also hated the old style polishes, but might try and see what the new versions are like. The rise in price thoroughly annoys me too!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Dreams That Glitter. Thanks, I didn't want to sound really negative but I was really disappointed! I thought the rise in price was unfair to the people who raved about them in the first place and increased their popularity and the products definitely aren't worth it. The eyeliner is actually amazing though! No tips for me and this £8 cream then??!! lol

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!!